Leap of Kindness Day - Monday, February 29, 2016
On February 29th, 2016, all across Saratoga County, dozens of organizations and hundreds of individuals will be doing something kind for someone else to celebrate #leapofkindnessday. Below is a partial list of the organizations we've heard from and the acts of kindness they will perform on this extra day in this #leapyear2016. Please email us at email@example.com if your organization is planning to participate and the details of your act of kindness. We will try our best to update this list each day!
- Students in the Clean Technologies & Sustainable Industries Early College High School will be doing 4 different events (2 for Brave Will, Adopt a Soldier, breakfast for bus drivers).
- The staff at Saratoga Arms will provide the Saratoga Chapter of Hospice a kindness bag, full of Saratoga Arms food, treats and amenities.
- Senator Kathy Marchione is hosting a Leap of Kindness event with free coffee and donuts at the Mechicville-Stillwater Senior Center, from 8:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. on Monday.
- Specialty Silicones is collecting items to make a donation to Adopt-a-Soldier.
- Sweet Mimi’s Cafe will be delivering 4 dozen of our signature chocolate chip cookies to the Saratoga Hospital Nursing home. Our cookies always inspire a smile!
- Saratoga Family Dentistry will be participating in the Leap of Kindness Day by asking all 7 of our practice locations to donate items for the Saratoga County Animal Shelter. We are also asking patients of our Saratoga to help pool together donations as well.
- Skidmore Dining Services is donating dinner to Code Blue and Skidmore students will deliver it!
- CAP COM Federal Credit Union will be donating to the Respite Program at AIM Services Inc. and delivering breakfast to the NYS Troopers and the Malta-Stillwater EMS.
- The ACTIVE Network is selling homemade breakfast items, appetizers, various foods and Mocktails in the office to collect donations.These donations will be used to pay it forward to our local CODE BLUE SARATOGA.
- On February 10 -12 Alpine Sport Shop customers received travel mugs as gifts. Through the month of February, they could bring it to UnCommon Grounds, it was filled with coffee, and they received a bagel for free! This special promotion ends on February 29, Leap of Kindness Day. Alpine Sport Shop is also donating over $1000 to St. Baldrick's Foundation in honor of Leap of Kindness Day.
- The Tunison Funeral Home will be dropping off socks for the residents and cookies for the staff at The Wesley Community.
- ACO Property Advisors, Inc. will be donating canned goods to Franklin Community Center Food Pantry.
- St. Clement’s religious education grade 8 girls plan to make a food donation to the St. Clement’s food pantry and make greeting cards for residents at Prestwick Chase.
- Mrs. Nelsen's 4th grade class at Caroline Street School are making cards for the residents at Prestwick Chase.
- NHS and NJHS students from Galway will be: playing monopoly at The Home of the Good Shepherd, making breakfast for CSEA employees, delivering baskets of snacks and cookies to EMS and firefighters, conducting a basketball clinic and making cards.
- Roohan Realty is collecting snack items for the Franklin Community Center's Project Lift as well as items for Operation Adopt-a-Soldier. The firm is also hosting a dessert social for seniors at the Embury Apartments.
- The Joint Clifton Park is collecting for the Shenendehowa Helping Hands Food Pantry. We have a list of items they are looking for. We are also going to pay it forward by giving a free adjustment card to patients who make a donation. (One card per patient, not per item.)
- Hampton Inn and Suites is serving breakfast to the Saratoga Springs Fire Department.
- The Adirondack Trust Company is delivering flowers to residents of two area nursing homes AND hosting a food drive in all of their branches.
- US Foods is collecting food from their employees in Clifton Park and matching those donations as well as preparing food for two area shelters on that day.
- First graders at Geyser Road Elementary are making spring banners and decorations for the nursing home at Saratoga Hopital.
- Girl Scout brownie troop #3134 of Saratoga is doing a clothing food and hygiene product drive for the Franklin Community Center.
- Polyset is serving breakfast and lunch to the Clifton Park - Halfmoon EMS.
- GLOBALFOUNDRIES has invited its 18,000 employees across the world via email to do something kind for someone else on February 29th. Locally, Fab 8 employees are also encouraged to donate food items for distribution to area food pantries.
- Chamber Board members have joined together to deliver some treats from The Iron Roost to the Saratoga County Sheriff's Department.
- First National Bank of Scotia is collecting Books for Troops! at all of their branches.
- DA Collins Company is collecting food for Shelters of Saratoga
- The Saratoga Regional YMCA is collecting items in need for the Code Blue Shelter.
- Bonacio Construction is collecting non-perishable items for the Franklin Community Center Food Pantry.
- Saratoga National Bank is collecting pet food for patients at the Saratoga Hospital Community Health Center.
- The Warren-Washington-Saratoga BOCES culinary arts program is making boxed lunches for the Saratoga Springs Police Department.
- Bow Tie Cinemas is hosting a Rare Disease Day at the movies on February 29th to benefit several local nonprofits started by local families.
- The Ballston Spa Business and Professional Association is collecting white ankle high socks that will be donated to the residents at the Saratoga Rehabilitation and Skilled Nursing Home.
- The Saratoga Rehabilitation and Skilled Nursing Home will pay it forward by bringing cookies to the Ballston Spa Fire and EMS departments.
- The Saratoga Nursing Center will putting together a donation of items for Code Blue.
- Saratoga Bridges is collecting Canned Kitten food & Toys, Children’s Toys, School Supplies and Plastic Shopping Bags to benefit the Saratoga County Animal Shelter & Saratoga Center for the Family.
- The Chamber's Veterans Business Council is collecting items for the men's and women's Veterans Shelters in Saratoga County.
- NBT Bank is hosting a food drive for local food pantries.
- The Saratoga County Department of Public Health is collecting food for a local pantry and pet food for the Saratoga Hospital's Community Health Center.
- Saratoga Bariatric Surgery and Weight Loss Program are going to make a basket for the Naval Clinic in our building at 1 West and fill it with Coffee Mugs and Dunkin Donuts Cards to say Thank you for Your Service!
- Fingerpaint Marketing is asking all of their employees in all of their locations around the US to pick from a list of a dozen acts of kindness that each person can do urging recipients to pay it forward.
- Hedley & Company, CPA's is hosting a food drive for CAPTAIN Youth and Family Services.
- Capital Interiorscapes will be making a donation of food to the Malta Food Pantry.
- National Grid is holding a food drive to collect food from their employees for distribution to area food pantries.
- Holiday Inn - Saratoga Springs is offering all Veterans a free meal on Monday, February 29th.
- Family Vision Care is collecting personal hygiene items for the Franklin Community Center with donors getting $20 off your eyewear purchase in February.
- Stewart's Shops donated 700 free coupons for a cup of coffee that we're distributed to attendee's at the Chamber's annual dinner so that they can buy someone else a cup of coffee on Leap of Kindness Day.
- Hampton Inn & Suites - Clifton Park is collecting donations for the Chamber's Veterans Business Council as they seek to help Veterans across Saratoga County.
- Espey Manufacturing will be showing their appreciation to US Navy Sailors stationed in Saratoga County.
- Chamber Board members are teaming up with Hattie's and Posie Peddler for secret special thank you's for two different organizations.
- The Gideon Putnam Hotel is donating cases of Shampoo and Conditioner to Operation Adopt a Soldier.
- Herzog Law Firm is collecting food and donations to benefit the food pantry at Franklin Community Center in Saratoga.
- Zieker Eye Ophthalmology will collect canned goods for the Franklin Community Center.
- Healthy Living Market Saratoga and Chamber Board members have teamed up to deliver some goodies to the overnight shifts at the Malta Emergent Care Center and the Ellis Hospital Urgent Care Center in Clifton Park.
- The US Chamber of Commerce, through their Employees Caring for our Communities initiative is urging all of their employees to join our celebration by doing something kind for someone else and sharing their acts online using the #leapofkindnessday hashtag.
What is Leap of Kindness Day?
On Monday, February 29, 2016, we all have one additional day in this #LeapYear. We believe the best way to use this one extra day is to do something kind for someone else. Thus, we are inviting everyone in Saratoga County (and beyond) to celebrate February 29, 2016, as Leap of Kindness Day. You can join our #leapofkindnessday celebration simply by doing something kind for someone else and if someone else does something kind for you then pay it forward.
Below, we have some specific suggestions if you'd like to participate in #LeapofKindnessDay. We have also provided some links to local organizations that have requests or suggestions as to the specific acts of kindness you might take to really make a difference in our community. Of course, you can also come up with your own #LeapofKindnessDay activity. No matter what you decide to do, we hope you will share with us how you plan to participate in our first-ever #LeapofKindnessDay on Monday, February 29, 2016!
Click the map above to see where we expect there will be #leapofkindnessday celebrations taking place across the United States.
Share #leapofkindnessday with your friends!
1. Visit our #leapofkindness Facebook Event and Share AND/OR invite your friends to join this event.
2. If you use social media, please post your plans for that day right away to inspire others to follow your lead and be sure to use the #leapofkindnessday hashtag.
3. Click here to obtain a poster that you can print and post in your office or organization to encourage others to celebrate #leapofkindnessday.
#LeapofKindnessDay Sign Up
Check out the WNYT news story below!
Check out the story in the Saratogian below!
Check out the story in the Times Union below!
Here are a few suggestions on how you might celebrate #LeapofKindnessDay, Monday, February 29, 2016
1. Collect and deliver items that will be sent to US Soldier's stationed overseas by Operation Adopt A Soldier. Click here for items that can be collected and for a list of the locations to bring items that will then be sent to our Troops by this non-profit organization.
2. Local nursing homes have hundreds of residents who would LOVE to receive flowers and/or new socks on #LeapofKindnessDay. The professional staff's who care for these residents also deserve a special thanks for the work they do. Below is contact information for your company to setup a donation and delivery of flowers or new socks for residents and/or trays of cookies for the professional staffs on February 29th. By the way, warm socks are the best - - ankle length white socks are best for foot care as well as a non-binding cotton material.
- Saratoga Rehabilitation and Skilled Nursing Care, in Ballston Spa - Contact Cookie Travis at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 518-885-2208 ext. 1001. They have 240 residents and six units as well as one administrative floor who all enjoy cookies!
- The Wesley Community, in Saratoga Springs - Contact Lorrie Shilling at email@example.com or by phone at 518-691-1563. They have 320 residents and 9 nursing units who also love cookies!
- The Saratoga Hospital Nursing Home - Contact Marylou Gaylord at mGaylord@saratogacare.org or by phone at 518-583-8696. They have 36 residents and three shifts of employees.
4. Tip BIG on February 29th to celebrate #LeapofKindnessDay. When you get your daily cup of coffee, or you dine out for lunch or dinner, or you patronize any local business where tips are accepted, we invite you to TIP BIG as a way of doing something kind for those who serve you on this special day.
5. Send a note of gratitude to your child's teacher on Monday, February 29th. If you really want to celebrate #LeapofKindnessDay, enclose a gift card to their favorite local store or restaurant or a store that carries supplies for their classrooms or books they can share with their students.
6. Before February 29th, employers could host a staff meeting to solicit ideas to do something together as a team at the start of the day, at lunch, or after work. Your team might want to invite someone to come in to teach them a new skill or to facilitate a fun group activity - - something you've always talked about doing but never found the time to do. Use this extra day to offer Yoga in the workplace, to try Sushi together, to explore relaxation strategies like meditation, or to go bowling together. Doing something together as a staff that you've always wanted to try counts as an act of kindness on this day.
7. #LeapofKindnessDay offers everyone a great opportunity to thank our first responders - - Police, Fire and EMS. Contact your local police, fire or EMS department to see if they'd accept a small token of thanks from your organization for keeping us safe and being there to help whenever they are called.
8. We are so very fortunate in Saratoga County to have access to an outstanding health care system. What makes our health care system special is the professional and caring support provided by those who work in our local hospitals. If you've ever had an experience in one of our local hospitals or health care facilities, we invite you to consider doing something nice for those who work there and/or their patients as suggested below to celebrate #LeapofKindnessDay.
Saratoga Hospital - The staff at the Hospital's Community Health Center have found that their local patients struggle to keep their pets fed. So they've established a pet pantry to supply patients with pet food items noting the health benefits that often result from patients having a pet. In addition, the Health Center has setup a Dental Fund that supports the CHC patients in need of costly restorative care, oral surgery, and extractions. These services could not be provided without the generous support of donors, having a significant impact on improving health outcomes for the Center’s patients. To contribute to either of these efforts, please contact Kathy McNeice at firstname.lastname@example.org or 886.5606
Ellis Hospital - Their nursing leaders are appreciative of any "thank you's" local people may provide. If you'd like to deliver thank you notes or a plate of health snacks for the various departments, please contact Lynne Guarneri at email@example.com.
9. There are 18 senior citizen clubs and centers across Saratoga County that provide a wide range of services to seniors living in our county. Please click here to view a list of these clubs and centers and consider calling your local senior center to ask if there is something you can do to help them on #LeapofKindnessDay.
10. Saratoga County is host to hundreds of US Navy Sailors and their families every year as they complete their training to operate the fleet's nuclear propulsion systems. These Sailors and their families are generally young and most of them relocate here for just a short time. We believe #LeapofKindnessDay is a perfect day to thank them and their families for their commitment and service to our country. Perhaps you'd like to donate coupons for free coffee, a free ice cream cone, movie passes or something else as a way of saying thank you to them on #LeapofKindnessDay. If so, please call the Chamber at 584-3255 and we will arrange for the delivery of your act of kindness.
11. This extra day is an ideal day to thank those with whom you work. Consider #LeapofKindnessDay your extra day to write a thank you note to a co-worker or to bring someone in your organization a cup of coffee or to take them out to lunch. If you do this, invite them to "pay it forward" and you might see your workplace at its best on this extra day.
12. Here's a way you can celebrate #LeapofKindnessDay on Monday, February 29th from your home or office. Make an online donation to a charity or nonprofit of your choice. Below are a few local options we might suggest:
- CAPTAIN Youth and Family Services
- Franklin Community Center
- Adult & Senior Center of Saratoga - http://www.saratogaseniorcenter.org/
- Kelly's Angels, Inc. - http://www.kellysangelsinc.org/
- Epilepsy Foundation of Northeast New York - http://www.epilepsy.com/chapters/northeastern-new-york/donate
- United Way of the Greater Capital Region - http://www.unitedwaygcr.org/civicrm/contribute/transact?reset=1&id=1
- AIM Services http://www.aimservicesinc.org/page/donate-16.html
- Backstretch Employee Service Team http://bestbackstretch.org/donate-now/
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Capital Region http://www.bbbscr.org/site/c.djIQK1NILhJ4E/b.8849601/k.78EF/Start_something_online.htm
- Brookside Saratoga County Historical Museum http://www.brooksidemuseum.org/support-us/make-a-financial-donation/
- Caffe Lena http://www.caffelena.org/campaignforcaffelena/
- Community Foundation of the Great Capital Region https://www.cfgcr.org/donations.php
- Double H Ranch https://25561.thankyou4caring.org/pages/sponsor
- Floydwarriors.com http://www.floydwarriors.com/DONATE.html
- Friends of Saratoga Battlefield http://friendsofsaratogabattlefield.org/support-us/make-a-donation/
- Friends of Ulysses S. Grant Cottage https://www.networkforgood.org/donation/ExpressDonation.aspx?ORGID2=14-1747814&vlrStratCode=VfoajNZtyDbrhAA4uF06Oc27ifLxOCY7IAHHl9CwaLp1pVRUhpq7Bp+raXE2Fj0I
- Home Made Theater http://homemadetheater.org/support-hmt/
- HOPE (Homes for Orphaned Pets Exist) http://www.hopeanimalrescue.org/donate/
- Jake’s Help From Heaven http://www.jakeshelpfromheaven.org/donate/
- National Museum of Dance http://www.dancemuseum.org/support/donate.html
- National Museum of Racing https://www.racingmuseum.org/annual-appeal
- Patriot Hills of New York https://www.fundraise.com/patriot-hills-of-new-york-inc/patriot-hills-new-home
- Peaceful Acres https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=W6mp_qTo4-GynVrG59kuJjOjfdSiZxpCUExFGhK4-t9XMy7aWM6RinF0Pv0&dispatch=5885d80a13c0db1f8e263663d3faee8d64ad11bbf4d2a5a1a0d303a50933f9b2
- Rebuilding Together Saratoga County https://www.razoo.com/us/story/Rebuilding-Together-Saratoga-County
- Ronald McDonald House of Albany https://www.rmhcofalbany.org/how-to-help/donate
- Saratoga Arts http://saratoga-arts.org/givenow
- Saratoga Automobile Museum http://www.saratogaautomuseum.org/give-introduction/
- Saratoga Bridges http://www.saratogabridges.org/ways-to-give/
- Saratoga Center for the Family http://www.saratogacff.org/donate/
- Saratoga Children’s Theater http://www.saratogachildrenstheatre.org/support/donate/
- Saratoga County Children’s Committee http://saratogachildrenscommittee.org/donate/
- Saratoga EOC https://www.networkforgood.org/donation/ExpressDonation.aspx?ORGID2=237438457&vlrStratCode=0/rPFRcWpQ11bzIxJCJku9X+sJP2OqMC5SCLzYd+zi66HP9oHjNX7dAUYD1f23va
- Saratoga County Rural Preservation Company, Inc. http://www.vethelpny.org/vet-help/how-can-you-help/
- Saratoga Foundation for Innovative Learning https://squareup.com/market/SFIL
- Saratoga Hospital https://saratogacare11429.thankyou4caring.org/donate-now
- Saratoga Independent School https://siskids.wufoo.com/forms/sis-annual-giving-donation-form/
- SPAC http://www.spac.org/membership
- Saratoga PLAN http://www.saratogaplan.org/get-involved/donate/
- Saratoga Regional YMCA http://srymca.org/ways-to-help/annual-support-campaign/
- Saratoga Rowing Association http://www.saratogarowing.com/campaign/
- Saratoga Shakespeare Company https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=STlPhMgD1Ohow2gf32wPxHxqHby7A4o1tnozTv8J1n_NSa88pZYLhHANb8y&dispatch=5885d80a13c0db1f8e263663d3faee8d64ad11bbf4d2a5a1a0d303a50933f9b2
- Saratoga Sponsor a Scholar https://ime.imediaconsult.com/~ssas/donate.php
- Saratoga Springs History Museum http://www.saratogahistory.org/get-involved/donate
- Saratoga Springs Lions Club http://www.saratogaspringslions.com/donate-to-lions-foundation/
- Saratoga Springs Preservation Foundation http://www.saratogapreservation.org/get-involved/donate
- Saratoga Springs Public Library https://www.cfgcr.org/donation_sspl.php
- Saratoga Styders, Inc. http://www.saratogastryders.org/join-us/
- Shelters of Saratoga https://sheltersofsaratoga.org/help-us/donate/
- Soroptomist International of Saratoga County http://soroptimistsaratoga.org/node/46
- Southern Adirondack Independent Living https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=EAz4Qg_SPTzmMgZn7vLSEK94uBwPaRP5tHIzld_h6h9SHVqEj7l8oh2vAwu&dispatch=5885d80a13c0db1f8e263663d3faee8d64ad11bbf4d2a5a1a0d303a50933f9b2
- Special Olympics New York http://specialolympics-ny.org/donate/
- St. Peter’s Health Partners http://www.sphp.com/ways-to-give
- Sunnyview Rehabilitation Hospital https://www.nehealth.com/Foundations/
- The Association for the Development of the Dramatic Arts (the Orchard Project) http://www.exchangenyc.org/civicrm/contribute/transact?reset=1&id=1
- The Children’s Museum at Saratoga http://cmssny.org/contribute/
- The Community Hospice http://www.communityhospice.org/donate/
- The Frances Youth Tang Teaching Museum and Art Gallery https://tang.skidmore.edu/support
- The Hyde Collection http://www.hydecollection.org/support_the_hyde/
- The Prevention Council http://www.preventioncouncil.org
- The Salvation Army https://donate.salvationarmyusa.org/sslpage.aspx?pid=206&_ga=1.256377995.1848967528.1452112679&cm_mc_uid=83024572481614521126791&cm_mc_sid_51410000=1452112679
- The Wesley Community https://www.thewesleycommunity.org/wesley-foundation/donate/
- The Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation https://trf20546.thankyou4caring.org/Make-A-Gift
- To Life! http://www.tolife.org/breast-cancer/contribution-funds/
- To Love A Child https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=buf0e-ASPm6gkavvw_tV37IEu7hyrv7jXWZVh8ywAo06dfgYa5ZYsGYgGOu&dispatch=5885d80a13c0db1f8e263663d3faee8d64ad11bbf4d2a5a1a0d303a50933f9b2
- Transitional Services Association https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=XJ7_YB7gtVersqcoD9Ii8VdyFVoGuNiUVFBLklhMiTQGuPHawmpY5SA1H68&dispatch=5885d80a13c0db1f8e263663d3faee8d64ad11bbf4d2a5a1a0d303a50933f9b2
- Universal Preservation Hall https://swp.paymentsgateway.net/co/default.aspx?pg_api_login_id=JSZaGbwg8f&pg_continue_url=http://www.saratogapreservationhall.org/
- Vascular Birthmarks Foundation https://birthmark.org/civicrm/contribute/transact?reset=1&id=3
- Waldorf School of Saratoga Springs https://48182.thankyou4caring.org/supportWaldorfSaratoga
- Wilton Wildlife Preserve and Park http://www.wiltonpreserve.org/how-you-can-help/make-a-donation
- Yaddo https://storerevenue.biz/yaddo/yaddo/donate.asp